What is it?
Capture is the new video recording software that allows you to create screen and webcam recordings. You can use this software for presentations, video assignments, feedback, demonstrations, tutorials, announcements, and more. Videos created with Capture will appear in your My Media area in Canvas.
Capture is replacing CaptureSpace. CaptureSpace will be retired on June 1, 2019.
To install Capture on your desktop computer:
- Log into Canvas.
- Click Account on the navigation menu, then select My Media (it may take a moment or two to appear).
- If this is your first time using Kaltura within Canvas, you need to click Authorize.
- In the top right, click Add New, then select Kaltura Capture.
- Select Download for Windows or Download for Mac, depending on your system.
- If your browser asks you to approve the download, select the option that allows you to download.
- Windows: Double-click the downloaded Personal Capture installer file (.exe), and then follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- Mac: KalturaCapture requires administrative privileges to install on a Mac. If your home campus is University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and you’re using a campus computer, it is available to install via Self Service.
- Select a location for your recordings. We recommend that you change your recordings folder to a location that is easy for you to access, such as in a dedicated Kaltura Capture folder on your hard drive.
- When the installation is complete, nothing happens. To start recording, repeat steps 2-4 above and the program will launch. You may have to allow it to open.
If you encounter a permissions error while installing Capture on your home campus computer, contact your home campus’s IT helpdesk.
Now that you have Kaltura installed, read the next blog post: Using Kaltura Capture.