Said it once? Said it twice? Say it again! Overcommunication is especially important in an online course.
- Communicate using multiple methods (e.g., announcements, discussions, email) so you can appeal to different learning styles.
- Communicate once, twice, even multiple times–overcommunicate.
- Don’t assume students know what is expected of them.
- Don’t assume students know how to use the LMS tools.
Without body language, context, and other visual communication cues, the online instructor must carefully communicate to ensure they aren’t misleading students or inadvertently creating an unfriendly tone. Here are some of tips:
- Communicate with sensitivity to various student preferences, communication styles, and learning styles.
- Be conscious of your tone, which should be participatory and collegial.
- Be prompt in giving student feedback, and responsive to students’ questions.
- Quick Tip: Receive Notification When Someone Posts in a Discussion - March 4, 2021
- Reusing Old Announcements - December 21, 2020
- Providing Flexibility for Students, Especially During Disruptive Times - November 25, 2020