Receiving notifications when someone posts in a discussion is a two-step process, and you have some options.
Step 1: Subscribe to the Discussion
First, tell Canvas which discussion you want to subscribe to. The easiest way to do this is through the Discussions Index link. We ask instructors to subscribe to the Ask the Class/Raise Your Hand discussion topic in their courses so they can be notified when questions from their students come in.
Step 2: Turn on Notifications
Next, tell Canvas that you want to receive the Discussion Post notification. This means you will receive notification when a new topic is made in a Discussion you are subscribed to. (Be sure to select the Discussion Post notification, not the Discussion notification.) You can do that globally across all of Canvas or just in your course.
- Click here for directions on how to turn on notifications for a single course.
- Click here for directions on how to turn on notifications globally across Canvas.
- Quick Tip: Receive Notification When Someone Posts in a Discussion - March 4, 2021
- Reusing Old Announcements - December 21, 2020
- Providing Flexibility for Students, Especially During Disruptive Times - November 25, 2020