Discussions are handled a little differently in Canvas than in D2L. All replies are listed on the page–no more clicking to open a discussion post. Sometimes this can create confusion if Canvas marks that you’ve read a reply, when actually you have only just scrolled past it.
Luckily, Canvas has an easy fix, allowing you to change your discussion settings so you have to manually mark posts as read. We’ve heard from instructors and students that this feature really helps them keep track of which replies they’ve actually read, and which replies to go back to.
The following links will tell you how to change your discussion settings to allow you to do this and how the actual process of manually marking discussions as read works. Students can also take advantage of this setting.
- How do I change discussion settings to manually mark discussion replies as read as an instructor?
- How do I mark discussion replies as read or unread as an instructor?
- How do I change discussion settings to manually mark discussion replies as read as a student?
- How do I mark discussion replies as read or unread as a student?
Latest posts by Katie Venit (see all)
- Understanding Assignment Dates in Canvas - May 22, 2019
- Student Group Areas in Canvas - February 28, 2019
- Quick Tip: Manually Mark Discussion as Read in Canvas - February 18, 2019