By default, Canvas marks discussions as read as you scroll by them. Sometimes this can create confusion if Canvas marks that you’ve read a reply, when actually you have only just scrolled past it.
Luckily, Canvas has an easy fix, allowing you to change your discussion settings so you have to manually mark posts as read. We’ve heard from instructors and students that this feature really helps them keep track of which replies they’ve actually read, and which replies to go back to.
The following links will tell you how to change your discussion settings to allow you to do this and how the actual process of manually marking discussions as read works. Students can also take advantage of this setting.
- How do I change discussion settings to manually mark discussion replies as read as an instructor?
- How do I mark discussion replies as read or unread as an instructor?
- How do I change discussion settings to manually mark discussion replies as read as a student?
- How do I mark discussion replies as read or unread as a student?
- Providing Flexibility for Students, Especially During Disruptive Times - November 25, 2020
- Quick Tip: When to Use Captions vs. Video Summaries - November 5, 2020
- Add a Subject Line to Discussion Posts in Canvas - October 8, 2020