Every video in your courses should be captioned or transcribed. This doesn’t just help students with hearing impairments; captions and transcripts help all students better understand the material, and gives them more flexibility for when they watch the videos. With captions, they aren’t confined to a quiet room where their computer speakers won’t disturb others. Please read more about accessibility at this blog post: Accessibility in the Online Classroom.
Your iDocs instructional designer will caption your “persistent” course content videos for you during a revision or development. But you can request captions for your ad hoc/webcam videos in My Media.
Here is how you request machine-generated captions for your videos:
- In Canvas, go to Account > My Media.
- In My Media, a list of your videos will appear. Click the title of your video.
- In the drop-down menu below the video preview, click Actions > Caption & Enrich.
- Service: Machine
- Source Media Language: English
- Feature: Captions.Under Order Captions, select:
- Click Submit.
- The next screen will show your captions request for that video. You can get back to this Captions Requests screen by going to Actions > Captions Requests.