This explains how to create a video using Kaltura CaptureSpace and embed the video in a course on the UW System D2L server. (Click this link for more help on CaptureSpace Lite.)
Step 1: Record Your Video
- Plug your headset in to your computer.
- Log in to the UW System D2L.
Make sure you are NOT logged in to the UW-Oshkosh D2L, or any other D2L instance.
- In the upper right corner, click MyMedia.
A new window will open.
- In the upper right corner, click Add New.
- Click Recording.
Kaltura CaptureSpace will open. (If Kaltura CaptureSpace doesn’t open you can go to the Start/Windows menu on your computer and launch Kaltura CaptureSpace from there.)
- Click the Settings
Make sure you have your webcam and correct microphone selected.
Change Screen Recording Quality to HD 1080P.
Review the recommend settings
- Click the Record
- Select the desired option (Screen, Screen & Webcam, Webcam, or Voice).
- If you selected one of the screen recording options, you’ll be prompted to choose between full screen or to select an area. Click Select Area.
- Click and drag to select the area on screen to record.
Draw an area that is rectangular rather than square.
Review the Area recommendations
- Follow the prompts to begin the recording.
- When you’re finished, click Done.
- A preview of the video will appear. Click Done.
- Enter the title of video and a description.
- Select Upload (to send the video into D2L).
If you click Save, the video will be saved on your computer in the location specified on the Settings
Step 2: Add the Video to your D2L Course
- Go in to your D2L course where you want the video to appear.
For example, if you want the video to appear in a News post, create a new News post or edit an existing News post and then click to place your cursor in the white Content
- Click the Insert Stuff button (first button on left)
- Click MyMedia
- Select your video (click on the text description to select, not on the thumbnail image).
If you do not see your video, verify that you clicked Upload when completing your video in Kaltura CaptureSpace.
If you still don’t see the video it may be uploading to the wrong D2L instance.
- Click Next
- Click Insert
- Click Publish
Your video will appear embedded on the page.
Latest posts by Julia Lehman Caldwell (see all)
- Discussion Best Practices - May 31, 2018
- Tech Tip: Creating Videos with Kaltura CaptureSpace for the UW System D2L - April 4, 2018
- Talk to Your Students About the Academic Code of Conduct - March 14, 2018